The Subdivision and Land Development Regulations are now in a new draft form which can be found here in PDF form including the two Appendices. This draft has reorganized the March 2020 (i.e. last year) draft into a clearer and easier to follow format (at the request of reviewers of the March 2020 draft) Note: Some Wayfinding and Section References may change due to reorganization.
This draft comes after having held numerous public meetings late last year, a developer round table, and extensive review for compliance with WV 8A, the supervisory state code.
After review of the draft, there will be the public hearing to be scheduled. Due to COVID-19 most dates are now To Be Determined. We will update both Facebook and this Page when new dates are decided on. The original schedule last year (2020) before Covid was:
- March 20 – Final Subdivision and Land Development Regulation Draft Available to Public
- March 31 – Final Guideline/Toolkit Draft Available to Public
- TBD (prev April 3) – Engineers Workshop, Location TBD
- TBD (prev April 17)– Developers Workshop, Location TBD
- TBD (prev April 24) – Finalizing the Regulation Draft, Editing of Errors, Formatting, and Pagination
- TBD (prev May 27) – Public Hearing/Potential Adoption
- TBD (prev July 1) – Ordinance Goes Into Effect (if adopted)
- Dependent issues: Extra Staff, County Engineer, and Subdivision Review Board
- TBD (prev Jan 1, 2021) – Sunset Date for Submitting Grandfathered Developments
- TBD (prev May - July 2021) – First Review of the Regulation
Staff had originally intended to have both a Developer's and an Engineer's set of Workshops. However, due to Coibd-19's extended stay, that is no longer possible. Therefore, staff created a series of videos regarding various aspects of the Ordinance:
- Overview of the Current Draft form (showing the organizational changes since the online draft from March 2020)
- Exempt and Minor subdivision processes
- Major subdivision process (1 phase standard and expedited reviews)
- Major with Phases subdivision process (standard and expedited reviews)
- How to Do Changes and Amendments to Plans and Plats
- How to Use the optional Online Widget to provide site drawing information
- GIS widget tutorial on a development site
- GIS widget tutorial on a building/home addition
- Overview of the Preferred Design
- Preferred Design Detailed How-To videos
- Site Design Issues (slope, parking, etc.) – under construction
- Roadway Design Issues (width, setback, road slope,…) – under construction
- Transportation Design Issues (Connectivity credit, multimodal credits, expediting roadwork,…) – under construction
Along with the proposed subdivision regulations, MCPC staff have created a set of guidelines to help developers, surveyors, and other applicants better understand what is required by the regulations. The draft Subdivsion and Land Development Regulations Guidelines can be found here in PDF form. This March 2020 draft (i.e. last year) is not intended to be the final draft and are provided for informational purposes only.
There is also an FAQ which may help answer some of the questions you may have. For further information beyond the above, please contact the County Planning Office at 304-284-7302 or email at email@example.com.